Re: BBN outage

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Fri Oct 11 22:55:28 1996

On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, Charles R. Hoynowski wrote:

> I started seeing mail
> failures to Stanford (a big BBN site) at 9:33am PDT

I believe that Infoworld magazine's site is also on BBN. This is the
magazine that Bob Metcalfe writes for.

I haven't been able to get to www.infoworld.com all day. A traceroute to
www.infoworld.com (192.216.48.63) ends at barrnet.SanFrancisco.mci.net
(166.48.19.250) and whois whois 192.216.48 shows up with this
BBN BARRNET, Inc. (NETBLK-BARRNET) NETBLK-BARRNET192.216.0.0 -
192.216.255.255

The various failures that are happening this year are sure getting a *LOT*
more visibility and press coverage than failures in previous years. It
seems to me that in a way, Metcalfe's Internet collapse of 1996 really has
arrived. However I would say that it is a measure of the net's
pervasiveness and importance rather than a measure of the net's stability.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: [email protected]