Re: Creating exchanges

  • From: Stephen Stuart
  • Date: Fri Oct 11 18:27:08 1996

> 	Hawaii does have lots of fiber.  Monetary costs for circuits between
> Guam and Hawaii are not ignorable.  Also, back-haul all the way to Hawaii for
> an intra-Asia interconnect causes a significant increase in latency when
> compared with a Guam-based interconnect.  (No, I've never been to Guam and
> I don't own any land or fiber there :-)

My Big Map o' Fiber(*) shows the HAW-5 cable going from L.A.-ish
(probably San Diego?) to Hawaii, and then continuing on to Guam and
then Japan as TPC-5. The Pacrimeast cable leaves Hawaii bound for
Wellington, NZ, and the Pacrimwest cable leaves Guam bound for
Sydney/Canberra. Tasman-2 then connects Sydney/Canberra with
Wellington. Both Pacrim cables and Tasman-2 are a LOT skinnier on the
map than TPC-5 or HAW-5.

Why does it have to be an either-or? Topologically, it looks like both
Hawaii and Guam would both make sensible exchange points. For the west
side of the Pacific Rim, though, Guam is looking pretty good from a
U.S territory perspective.