Re: Internet II is coming...

  • From: Robert E. Seastrom
  • Date: Thu Oct 10 10:30:39 1996

   From: Jim Browning <[email protected]>

   >| Oh, and by the way, given that the local loop provider has OC-48 SONET
   >| provisioned to this particular location, we could just as easily have
   >| provisioned the connection to our backbone at OC12 as opposed to OC3.
    Did
   >| I miss the Cisco announcement of an OC12 IP-SONET card?
   >
   >You may wish to discuss an NDA presentation on the forthcoming
   >generation of routers from each of Cisco, Juniper and Bay Networks.

   Again, my post was based upon your assertion that this could be done today.
   I sincerely hope that a new generation of routers is forthcoming asap that
   can match ATM speeds.

So, Jim, since your metric is what can be done _today_, could you tell
us just exactly how many ATM switch vendors can offer me _working_
(not beta) OC12 interface cards _today_?  The only one that I can
think of off the top of my head that I'd be willing to risk my
credibility as an engineer with management by going with is Fore.  Of
course, that assumes that I'd be willing to risk my credibility as an
engineer by spec'ing ATM in the first place, which is a shaky
proposition to say the least.

To paraphrase the old adage, when all you have is an ATM switch,
everything looks like aggregatable bandwidth.

                                        ---Rob