RE: Internet II is coming...

  • From: Jim Browning
  • Date: Wed Oct 09 18:03:53 1996
  • Encoding: 64 TEXT

"IP Unter Alles", in other words, right?

Okay, I'll take the bait.  This past weekend, we demonstrated (1)
video-conferencing, (2) streaming video, (3) 155 Mbps to the desktop
Internet connectivity, and (4) connectivity to the Public Switched
Telephone Network, all over our ATM OC3c backbone, simultaneously and
continuously.  #1 & #2 can be either IP or native ATM, and in this case we
ran it over IP.  #3 requires ATM, although you can get close to it using
other technologies.

But what about #4?  Connection to the PSTN?

Please explain to me how to, in a non-kludgey manner, provide the PSTN
connectivity using only Cisco routers.  I certainly believe that most
customers would consider speaking into a microphone attached to their PC
and listening to the PCs speaker just a tad on the kludgey side.  Not to
mention that they would need an extra sound card to avoid having to say
"over" every time they were through speaking.  No, I think they want to use
the nifty 900Mhz Sony cordless phone they just bought at Circuit City, and
have a level of service (note I avoided the dreaded 'Q' word) similar to
what they get from their POTS line.

Oh, and by the way, given that the local loop provider has OC-48 SONET
provisioned to this particular location, we could just as easily have
provisioned the connection to our backbone at OC12 as opposed to OC3.  Did
I miss the Cisco announcement of an OC12 IP-SONET card?

>Since these routers will be needed with or without ATM, the time
>to ponder whether ATM really has that much added value in the
>long run is upon people already.

As is the time to ponder how all the various technologies can work well
together.  What is long past is the time to flame a technology which has
already become an integral part of the Internet infrastructure, and which
will remain so for a long time to come.  There are plusses and minuses to
the widespread deployment of ATM, just as with *any* technology, however it
does have some undeniable advantages, and one of them is its ability to
carry voice traffic independent of IP traffic, and to connect in a
reasonably straightforward manner to the PSTN.  Would you prefer to have
voice traffic clogging up the IP backbone??

--
Jim Browning

"My views do in fact reflect the views of my sponsor, and I am now going to
go look for that asbestos suit said sponsor provides to those of us who are
inclined to support the merits of ATM on Nanog"