Re: Internet II is coming...

  • From: Joseph T. Klein
  • Date: Wed Oct 09 16:01:34 1996

> There is a "perception" of lack of bandwidth. MAE EAST is running at %30
> capacity of a 100Mb switched FDDI. Figure there are about 30 providers
> each with 45Mb pipe - a bandwidth shortage does not add-up - There are
> many other metrics that effect performance besides bandwidth. How does
> Internet II solve the other sources of performance problems?
>

> ---
> Stephen Balbach  "Driving the Internet To Work"
> VP, ClarkNet     due to the high volume of mail I receive please quote
> [email protected]   the full original message in your reply.

The bandwidth issue IS a problem. If you look closely at the stats
you can see that traffic curves tend to flatten out far below the
theoretical limit. A number of factors that cause this are related
to I/O limits by major peers at the meet points.
--
/*Joseph T. Klein         *    Keep Cool, but Don't Freeze
* NAP.NET, LLC            *