Re: Registry Operational Requirements

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Wed Oct 09 14:55:13 1996

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Jim Fleming wrote:

> It now looks like Michael Dillon will take those matters up over
> on the "newdom" mailing list. For people that are not allowed
> to actively be part of the "newdom" list, the archive is at...
> 	<http://www.ar.com/lists/newdom>

That's right Jim, because discussions about new international Top Level
Domain registries belong there. Please don't broadcast my writings on the
subject to other forums that they do not belong in.

> For the record, it is curious that Michael Dillon continues to ask
> Bill Manning about what the "IANA" will do, despite the fact that
> Fred Baker, the IETF chair, indicated that Bill Manning's name
> was not on a recent list of IANA members.

Hey, it never hurts to ask. IANA people aren't the only ones that know
what is going on. They aren't a secret society you know. They do talk with
a lot of other people and I'm guessing that Bill Manning, a well known
IETF member, is one of those people.

> In my opinion, ISPs have the right to know what sort of operational
> requirements are being proposed to operate a "registry".

Most ISP's could care less about this because it will have minimal effect
on them. A few may wish to spend some money and take a chance on the
new TLD registry business. Those ISP's can send a "subscribe" message to
[email protected] and read http://www.memra.com/ndbg.html for
background info.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: [email protected]