Registry Operational Requirements

  • From: Jim Fleming
  • Date: Wed Oct 09 12:04:50 1996
  • Encoding: 81 TEXT

Most ISPs are very busy trying to keep everything running and
trying to grow their businesses. As some of you may have read,
I asked Bill Manning, about the status of one of the documents
he was working on as shown below. Bill indicated, "that topic is
not something that I will persue on inet-access". No reason was
provided.

As you will note, Mr. Manning casually mentioned the "ad-hoc"
committee. One is probably left to guess that this is the ISOC
Ad-Hoc committee mentioned in...
	<http://www.isoc.org/whatsnew/itlds.html>

Even though it does not appear that the ISOC has announced
the members of the committee, obviously some people feel
that they are already doing work for that committee. Maybe
the ISOC can shed some light on that?

It now looks like Michael Dillon will take those matters up over
on the "newdom" mailing list. For people that are not allowed
to actively be part of the "newdom" list, the archive is at...
	<http://www.ar.com/lists/newdom>

@@@@@@@@@@  http://www.ar.com/lists/newdom/2031.html

newdom Ad Hoc committee

Michael Dillon ([email protected])
Tue, 8 Oct 1996 23:08:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Bill Manning wrote:

> > Several ISPs have asked me about the facilties they would need
> > to be considered "industrial strength" for a registry. As far as I
> > know, your document addresses those issues.

> The document I am working on is for the ad-hoc
> committee. But that topic is not something
> that I will persue on inet-access.

So, are draft versions of your document publicly available?

Are any other ad-hoc committee documents publicly available?

Would IANA publicly make available any data on the preliminary
applications for registry status that they have received? If so, would
they indicate the number of TLD's which have been mentioned in more
than one preliminary application and the number of organizations
which would potentially be in conflict assuming that all such applications
were accepted. And how many preliminary applications are currently
known from each country (not named countries, just country A, country B).

A number of people on this list, some just lurking right now, intend to
apply to the ad-hoc committee for TLD registry status. Is there any advice
you could give those people as to what actions they might want to take
right now.

Michael Dillon - ISP & Internet Consulting

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

For the record, it is curious that Michael Dillon continues to ask
Bill Manning about what the "IANA" will do, despite the fact that
Fred Baker, the IETF chair, indicated that Bill Manning's name
was not on a recent list of IANA members.

In my opinion, ISPs have the right to know what sort of operational
requirements are being proposed to operate a "registry". If the
requirements are such that only certain ISPs can participate, then
that favors those people. ISPs and network operators have a large
stake in operating registries. In my opinion, they should have some
input into that planning process.

--
Jim Fleming
UNETY Systems, Inc.