Re: Internet II is coming...

  • From: Todd Graham Lewis
  • Date: Wed Oct 09 01:36:32 1996

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Tersian wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Todd Graham Lewis wrote:
>
> I can't wait to see when your attitude hits Berkely. Commercial Sendmail
> should be nice. "What? You want a patch for sendmail? That'll be $200.00
> for our service contract, plus .... etc."

You obviously missed my .sig

> > Commercialization of the network has brought a flood of resources to
> > building out the backbones and making access cheaper for everyone,
>
> I don't dispute this, commercialization of the Internet was a needed move
> in the right direction for the Internet. What I am disputing is you
> blatant disregard for the research and development departments all around
> the world that developed the Internet. Where the hell would you be
> without Berkeley Sockets?

I never contested the contributions that academia has made to
networking.  I contested the assertion that commercialization is
responsible for the horrible state the network is in.  1) The network is
not in a horrible state.  2) Whatever problems that are there, namely
congestion, were there just as badly before.  3) Commercialization has
contributed to the health if the network.  To say that the network is
worse off than it was before is just plain wrong.

> So before you turn your nose up, look what's under it. You'll find that
> "your" Internet was built on alot of grants and volunteer work.

You mean like my contributions, however small, to Linux?  Like Dosemu,
GNUS, sendmail, all of which my coworkers have worked on?

> > Pull your head out of your ass; it smells much better out here in the
> > real world.
>
> What smells better? My ass or the real world?

I overreacted.  Apologies.

__
Todd Graham Lewis             Linux!                 Core Engineering
Mindspring Enterprises  [email protected]   (800) 719 4664, x2804