Re: Internet II is coming...

  • From: Tersian
  • Date: Wed Oct 09 01:23:27 1996

On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Todd Graham Lewis wrote:

> This argument is, if you will pardon the phrase, utter and complete
> bullshit.  Before those annoying Joe Schmoe's threw their six-pack-guts
> up to the rail and started paying for their access, universities usually
> had what level of access to the net?  56k?  Maybe T1?  All feeding onto
> what, a T1 backbone?

And I suppose you look down upon the Military for no longer dumping tons
of time and resources into the Internet. But I guess thats okay with you
because NOW commercial entities _control the net_ *spit*.

I can't wait to see when your attitude hits Berkely. Commercial Sendmail
should be nice. "What? You want a patch for sendmail? That'll be $200.00
for our service contract, plus .... etc."

> Commercialization of the network has brought a flood of resources to
> building out the backbones and making access cheaper for everyone,

I don't dispute this, commercialization of the Internet was a needed move
in the right direction for the Internet. What I am disputing is you
blatant disregard for the research and development departments all around
the world that developed the Internet. Where the hell would you be
without Berkeley Sockets?

So before you turn your nose up, look what's under it. You'll find that
"your" Internet was built on alot of grants and volunteer work.

> Commercialization of the 'net has made the vBNS, Internet II, etc.,
> possible at OC-(whatever).  Commercialization has pushed development of

Sure, it's helped development, but don't thumb your nose at who got you
to this point. It's not elitism, it's efficiency, they want to go back to
sharing resources trans-collegiate without all the garbage inbetween, I
really don't see what your problem is.

> Pull your head out of your ass; it smells much better out here in the
> real world.

What smells better? My ass or the real world?

bah.

Ben