Re: Internet II is coming...

  • From: Tersian
  • Date: Tue Oct 08 18:18:55 1996

> It's a way for Universities to talk to _each_other_ at higher speeds without
> having to pay for the *ahem* value "added" by the Internet.  Higher-Ed

Would this be such a Bad Thing(tm)? Many times I have seen research
professors and students in the research field getting extremely upset
because data that they used to exchange with other schools and countries
is now taking 20 times longer because Joe Blow from L.A. is checking out
all his favorite sports stories 300 times a day and John Dough is
downloading all the porn he can fit on his 5 gig drive from across the
country.

	I wouldn't really see this move as a "Internet Separatist"
movement, more as a "return to normalcy" in the true spirit of the
Internet. Consider if you were a biochemical research student at
biochem.edu and you wanted to transfer a 30Meg molecular model back and
forth between biochem.edu and chem.edu but in between both of you were
hundreds and thousands of hosts, using Internet resources for commercial and
entertainment purposes.  Wouldn't you be a little upset when your ftp was
finished at .098K/s over a multi-homed DS3?

Ben