Re: New Denial of Service Attack on Panix

  • From: Jeff Weisberg
  • Date: Thu Oct 03 17:51:10 1996

Avi writes:
| > But of course. The problem is that SYN_RCVD is a transient state in the
| > TCP automaton, and it requires some resources allocation. The life
| > might have been a little bit different if servers weren't forced
| > to track this state. Something like a signed ticket accompanying the
| > second SYN and the following ACK.
| >
| > Dima
|
| That's the idea of making the iss a ticket that includes mss info and
| a hash of the other info plus a security ticket.
|
| I had hoped to work on that but it looks like someone else local is almost
| done and claims that ignoring window size and any data with the SYN(s)
| is harmless...

"someone else local" :-) has thrown the initial implementation up on
his ftp server; sun3 & sun4 .o's and a back-port to Net/2 src code
(note though, I have not tested the Net/2 port):

	ftp.op.net:/pub/src/syn-prophylactica/

I have been able to withstand a ~600+ syn/sec attack with no
noticable problems (slightly increased load, but no dropped
connections).

	--jeff