Re: New Denial of Service Attack on Panix

  • From: Dima Volodin
  • Date: Wed Oct 02 23:54:36 1996

In the same document:

	4. Liabilities

	[...]

	   Also, while ingress filtering drastically reduces the
	   success of source address spoofing, it does not preclude an
	   attacker using a forged source address of another host
	   within the permitted prefix filter range.

I.e. a single compromised host in the "permitted prefix filter range"
can cause as much trouble as the current attacks. Granted, it's a bit
easier to track down a host like this, but eliminating the majority of
compromisable hosts is even more difficult than global implementation of
the cited document. The bitter irony is that non-implementation of this
draft will most probably corelate with presence of compromisable hosts.

Thus host-(and firewall-)based solutions are at least as important as
the ingress filtering.

As of the evidence of these attacks - they were evident long before the
current talking.

Dima