Re: Peering versus Transit

  • From: Barney Wolff
  • Date: Mon Sep 30 00:48:17 1996

> Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 23:11:57 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Nathan Stratton <[email protected]>
>
> Yes, but can we agree that dumping data to someons router at a NAP
> without asking is steeling?

Is it really the case that people with routers at exchange points actually
consider a packet addressed to one of their own customers to be theft of
service?  So far, I note, we haven't heard any position expressed by
any of the big folks, just by others outraged on their behalf.

And of course, to be in a position to "dump data" on a router at an
exchange, one must have one's own router there peering with *somebody*,
right?  So the problem, if there is one, is that not all pairs of
routers at an exchange are necessarily allowed to communicate.  ATM,
anyone?  (Gasp cough choke)

Barney Wolff  <[email protected]>