Re: Best way to deal with bad advertisements?

  • From: Peter Galbavy
  • Date: Sun Sep 29 14:41:56 1996

>   It would be to the european comany's advantage, IF
>
>   	A/ they could not peer with the transit provider(s) for the
>   	   desired customer base
>
> 	B/ they gained more benefit from reaching the customer base
> 	   than it cost them

Ah, as per the other mail in this thread, maybe the words transit
and peering have been mixed up. I should really be referring to
peering. And from that point, as and when the two peers have
additional good paths to offer each other, they can be exchanged
in some amicable way, until eventually this thing called transit
happens.

For a pair of ISP/NSPs this can be a gradual process, and you should
not be betting your company on a "free" transit arrangement. I
think.

>   It is in their interest to have better connectivity, but perhaps not
>   to the tune of $8M/year.  Besides, as is alluded to earlier, who
>   needs it more, the US or the europeans?  I'd like to see some
>   middle ground, but I can see and understand the mentality of the
>   US-centric actions.

Sad I know.

>   True....  US companys would prefer to send traffic to Europe over
>   someone else's lines if the quality was high enough.

You mean they actually consider quality over "free" ? I don't think so.

>   Perhaps if the European company offered to transit European
>   traffic for them?  :-)

That carrot has been there before... no help - Europe is this small
*country* over the sea as far at these peopl are concerned.

The really sad thing is that while international lines between
European countries cost so much (the T1 cost from London to New
York is about the same as an E1 from London to Paris/Amsterdam/Stockholm
etc) it is easier for people to buy more bandwidth to the US rather
than European IX's - which would be (a) sensible and (b) the "stick"
to demonstrate to the US NSPs that "we don't need them" - note the
quotes.

>   Just to add a bit to that, the US Government could force providers
>   to peer with all providers meeting certain requirements (enter
>   telco history) but I think there would be difficulty requiring
>   them to peer with non-US companies.

Hmm. I don't think I wish that even on them ;)

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy                                           [email protected]
@ Home                                                 phone://44/973/499465