Re: Best way to deal with bad advertisements?

  • From: Peter Galbavy
  • Date: Sun Sep 29 12:46:19 1996

> I don't quite remember how we went from black holes to peering policies,
> but I certainly will put my two bits in ;0

Off topic is fun :)

> MCI's policy seems very clear to myself.  They require DS3 backbone, 3
> DS3 IXPs and 24X7 noc.  If you meet the requirement, you sign a document
> and then peering is initiated.  Took a matter of 2-3 weeks for myself.

Yes but... maybe you didn't see what I said. Why should *I* (my
company) install a US wide national network, to no-ones advantage
except the leased line company, when we have already made the *huge*
effort of moving the data across the atlantic.

All these 3IX at DS3 policies indicate to me is the bigoted, pro-US
nature of the NSPs over there. How about paying there way, since
more and more of the content and customers are outside the US and
it is in the interests of the customers of the NSPs to have better
connecivity to Europe/Asia/elsewhere.

Now don't get me wrong, I do not believe that the folks on the
ground are in anyway that unconcious of the outside of the US, but
past history gives the executives of these NSPs (Sprint in particular)
the attitude that "if they [non-US NSP/ISPs] have paid for the line
themselves up 'til now, lets see what else we can screw out of
them".

> UUNet's policy is the one I have a problem with--there is no policy it
> seems.  UUNET went from peering with everyone, regionals, etc. when Andrew
> Partan was there, to now not peering with anyone.  They act interested, but
> then will come back to you with a.  Private Peerings via DS3s or b.  No peering
> because your network is not equivalent in size to the "multiple DS3s" they have
> coming from each hub.  I still have not seen any written policies from
> UUNET.

I have been informed that the new policy is being formulated and
there may be something this year.

All this means is that the big NSPs will get good connectivity to
each other and the rest of the market will have good connectivity
to each other and then the bleed over between the two "tiers".

Market forces will eventually win, but how many customers of the
"other tier" ISPs will be pissed off during this time ?

regards,
--
Peter Galbavy                                           [email protected]
@ Home                                                 phone://44/973/499465