Re: Advice on dealing with Sprint

  • From: Neil J. McRae
  • Date: Fri Sep 27 09:36:01 1996

On Fri, 27 Sep 1996 08:45:38 -0500
 [email protected] (Craig A. Haney) alleged:

> that was me Neil. what a hack, but the business side of the issue is that
> the service was up.

Indeed, and it worked _well_. nether.demon.co.uk was a SPARC IPX with
32M of ram running NetBSD 1.0 driving a 256K line with full routes
into Chicago and I remember the machine had an uptime of over 200 days,
which was lost when Demon had a powercut at Finchley.

BUT its a little alarming to see Sprint saying you can only use CISCO routers,
when infact other routers work equally well, if not better.
I just wanted to note that other routers can do the job. I hope this
idea doesn't spread to any other backbone providers.

> >INSC were never much use and the only way we got things done was to
> >cc: you and Sean in any reporting of faults. Nevertheless, both you
> >and Sean where always very helpful.
>
> aren't a high percentage of NOC's manage trouble tickets vs actually the
> responsible group for fixing?

True, but when you have a lot of customers, and your transit
provider is down, you want to get things fixed fast. As I said both
Vadim and Sean always sorted any problems out. There was only one time
when I felt we were let down by Sprint and that was the PTAT cable break
a year and a half ago. I liked working with Sprint, they may have
had their problems but I think they supplied Demon  with as
good a service as any other transit providers would. Its certainly
better than some UK backbone providers [Hello BTnet!] and as long as
Sprint let me use what router I liked, I'd certainly deal with them again.
I think I learned all I know about routeing and BGP4 because of problems
that we had with Sprint, so in some strange way its Sprints fault that I'm
interested in all of this :-)

Cheers,
Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae. Alive and Kicking.          E A S Y N E T  G R O U P  P L C
[email protected]        NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)