Re: Advice on dealing with Sprint

  • From: Peter Galbavy
  • Date: Thu Sep 26 07:59:09 1996

> OK, Cisco bigots (hi Craig!), quit laughing at me for a second and give me
> some help here.  Is there any technical justification for what Sprint is
> telling me?  I have downstream customers using Bay, Cisco, HP, 3com,
> Compatible Systems, and even Proteon routers.  All of them are able to
> connect with me just fine.  I've been running BGP4 peering with MCI for
> over a year now, it also works fine.  I can't find a single valid reason
> that Sprint should even need to "approve" my router vendor, except that
> some short-sighted engineer at Sprint doesn't understand that we live in
> a multi-vendor world.  I'm obviously not going to force Sprint to accept
> my money, but this screws up a lot of the plans we have made in building
> our network.

Simple really. Sprint have a back-door deal with Cisco, either
for money or favours (like getting bugs fixed :-) that means that
they will only allow Cisco boxes to connect.

Remeber kids, most of the scaling problems on the internet today
are because people insist that Cisco boxes are the highest common
denominator. Not the lowest, as they really are.

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy                                           [email protected]
@ Home                                                 phone://44/973/499465