[no subject]

  • From: Unknown
  • Date: Mon May 22 23:35:07 2006

At R=100 SYNs/sec, RTT=250, and L=382, ((L-1)/L)^(RTT*R) = 93%, which
is not so bad.  Drop-oldest is better with those three numbers, since
it works 100% (modulo ordinary problems), but its performance falls off
the cliff to 0% at R=L/RTT.  If you have a short queue and care about
long RTT's, random drop is better than drop-oldest.

Since the weekend, I've been pushing code that switches from
drop-oldest to random-drop as the bombing rate increases.  That might
be overkill, but hey!, its only a handful of lines of code and the
problem is fun to think about.

Also since the weekend, I've been told FreeBSD and Linux have some kind
of queue pruning code.

Vernon Schryver,  [email protected]