Re: New Denial of Service Attack ...

  • From: Tim Bass
  • Date: Wed Sep 25 12:29:51 1996

I highly recommend reading Alan Cox's e-mail post on
this patch archived at Chris's site below.  There
are some caveats and other mods to daemons such
as inetd, etc:

------------------

Date: 	Sat, 21 Sep 96 23:59 BST
From: [email protected] (Alan Cox)
To: [email protected]
Subject: Linux TCP Changes for protection against the SYN attack
Sender: [email protected]

[Bcc the network development list and a few relevant people]

Various people have asked about this so here is a sort of status report:

I've tried several experimental ideas put forward on the end2end and
some other lists, and a couple of my own. As I write this my machine is
sustaining a continuous 64Kbit/second of spoof SYN frames and web access
is slightly impaired (a few 3 second pauses) but not bad. Sustaining the
equivalent of a modem based attack the machine is not noticably harmed
at all.

There are however some side effects. To get this level of protection
at 200 spoofed frames/second needs typically a backlog of up to 512 sockets.
That means in real terms a server thats capable of surviving this kind
of attack is probably going to be using up to 150Kbytes/service protected
of extra non swappable memory. It also means modifying inetd and sendmail
to request large queues.

In practical terms I think turning this on, patching the binaries needed
and adding 4Mb of RAM to the machine will give a box that has the same
performance under attack as without protection before.

A big thanks goes to Vern Schryver who implemented this algorithm on the
SGI machines and posted it to end2end. It seems to work rather well.

Oh the other gotcha - when you apply the patch (if you do ;)) you will need
to rebuild your modules (and yes if you have the infamous binary only AFS
I've probably broken it again...)

Also included is a fix to the problem of talking to netblazers and other
KA9Q stacks running with syndata enabled.

Can people whom can do a bit of testing to give these patches a good hammering,
and folks being attacked may as well try them too... If they seem OK I'll
submit them on for the next 2.0.x kernel proper.

Alan Cox
Linux Networking Project

--patch--