Re: New Denial of Service Attack on Panix

  • From: Peter Dawe
  • Date: Sun Sep 22 12:00:02 1996

ISP implementing filters for packets with false source addresses.

Why does there need to be co-ordination? Surely most ISPs would implement
this now they know there is a problem and they can fix it.

We just need to put out a request to ISPs

I would suggest this is done directly rather than through 'bodies' such as
IEPG

Peter Dawe

Hans-Werner Braun said...

> I am actually fairly serious. The tremendous amount of email this
> generated amazes me. With the amount of effort going into that, I
> suspect may be 40% or more of the problem could already be alleviated
> if people would just go out and coordinate and do it. Yes, it will not
> resolve things at the 100th percentile, but what are we optimizing for? A
> solution for generations to come? Or something that helps, and that
> can perhaps be augmented by some other means, such as spot
> measurements (especially for events that last hours).
>
> All reminds me actually a little of the movie Star Trek Generations,
> when Picard an Soran were on this planet, about minutes away from the
> whole star system being blown to kingdom come, Picard helplessly throwing
> little rocks at the shield, and Soran asking him something like "don't
> you have anything better to do."

Peter Dawe                                                     All messages copyright reserved
[email protected]; +44 (0) 1223 237700; GSM +44 (0) 385 394554
71 High Street, Oakington, CAMBRIDGE, CB4 5AG, UK