Re: A modest proposal

  • From: Paul Ferguson
  • Date: Wed Sep 18 19:27:19 1996

At 06:51 PM 9/17/96 -0400, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

>This discussion of securing dialup servers is pointless.  I guarantee
>you that the 2000 packet/second SYN attacks we've been seeing are
>coming from a compromised host on a high speed connection and not from
>someone's 28.8k dialup connection.  The hackers just take over a
>machine, use it to launch their attacks, and disappear into the jungle
>if we manage to find the particular machine they're using tonight.
>
>Harden your servers, filter on all non-transit ports on your routers,
>but let's let the how-to-do-filtering-on-terminal-servers discussion
>die, OK?
>
>                                        ---Rob

Rob,

'Securing dialup servers' discussion is certainly not pointless; there
are certainly considerations that need to be taken in any remote access
environment -- that's a fact.

Please don't be so quick to dismiss anyone's ideas on this topic; we're
going to need full-force input from everyone in the operational world.

- paul