Re: router syn/syn-ack/ack alarming...

  • From: Vern Paxson
  • Date: Wed Sep 18 14:22:33 1996

> have something in their logs like SYN/ACK RATIO 33:1 POSSIBLE HACKER
> ATTACK which will make them sit up and take notice.

I don't see how in reality to make the syn/syn-ack/ack ratio work soundly.
It seems too easy for the cracker to synthesize bogus syn-ack's or ack's to
manipulate the ratio however they please.  The bookkeeping to tell a true
syn-ack or ack-syn-ack from a bogus one entails keeping around connection
state, and suddenly the cheap ratio gets expensive.

		Vern