Re: router syn/syn-ack/ack alarming...

  • From: Mr. Jeremy Hall
  • Date: Tue Sep 17 17:46:29 1996

-->
-->um... maybe i'm missing the clue here, but if the router vendors add
-->something that shuts down an interface if the SYN/SYN-ACK/ACK ratio
-->becomes too bad make it *easier* for me if i'm doing a denial of service
-->attack on a host?
-->
-->instead of denying service to a given host, all i have to do is drive
-->the router into alarm mode so it shuts off the interface and then i get
-->to deny service to an entire segment and everything downstream from that
-->segment...
-->
-->here's to better bang for your cracker-kiddie buck...
-->--regis
-->>
-->

That could potentially take out a pop, as each interface goes down due to
an attack.
              | Jeremy Hall      Network Engineer |
              | ISDN-Net, Inc    Office +1-615-371-1625 |
              | Nashville, TN    and the southeast USA  |
              | [email protected]   Pager  +1-615-702-0750 |