Re: SYN flood messages flooding my mailbox

  • From: Jonathan M. Bresler
  • Date: Tue Sep 17 14:37:24 1996

Curtis Villamizar wrote:

> In message <[email protected]>, Avi Freedman writes:
> >
> > > implementation.  This is a denial of service exposure that has gone
> > > unaddressed in host implementations until recently.  BSD now uses a
> > > hash table on the TCP PCBs (protocol control blocks in the kernel) and
> > > with change of removal of the check can support close to 64K-2000 PCBs
> >
> > Hmm.  Interesting.  I was told that NetBSD did not...
> > Which version of BSD should I look at?  A hash table on a static array of
> > PCBs is a much better solution than letting a linked list get to 2000
> > entries...
>
> Oops.  That's in a BSDI patch (PATCH K210-019) but I'm not sure about
> FreeBSD or NetBSD distributions since I don't have one handy.

	The SYN_RCVD bug has been fixed in FreeBSD source.
	i should know, i wrote the patch.
	as a result, the attacker has to sink the machine in less than
	75 seconds, else it begins to free resources.  before the patch
	the attacker had ~11 minutes to do the deed. (would have been
	2 hours but for retransmission of the SYN-ACK packet by the target)

	the bug is dicsussed in detail on page 191 of tcp/ip illustrated
	by rick stevens.

	we have not yet moved to a hask table.  soon.
	our SO_MAXCONN is 128, rather than the common 5.

jmb
--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             [email protected]
FreeBSD--4.4BSD Unix for PC clones, source included. http://www.freebsd.org/

> Curtis
>
> ps- (My 6 year old has a FreeBSD system, but its 2.0.5.  Got to get
> him to upgrade. :)

	darn tooting!  ;)