Re: New Denial of Service Attack on Panix

  • From: Craig A. Huegen
  • Date: Tue Sep 17 01:54:07 1996

On Mon, 16 Sep 1996, Paul A Vixie wrote:

==>looks like the cisco access-list debugger doesn't show enough detail.
==>as soon as the path to the attacker crosses a MAE, you need to know the
==>source MAC level address of the router that's splattering you.

Paul is correct; I left out the caveat that you have to go "hunting" once
you get to a multi-access media network.

However, a good tool at this point becomes the monitor option/port found
on certain switches which will redirect traffic bound for a certain port
to also appear on the monitor port for sniffing. I don't know if the
GIGAswitches have such a monitoring option or port; if so, cooperation
from the various IXP operators would be a great help in determining the
hop.

(I also think implementing a MAC-level packet debug would be very
beneficial to help find culprits in this case, not to mention help
troubleshoot other problems).

/cah

----
Craig A. Huegen  CCIE #2100                       ||        ||
Network Analyst, IS-Network/Telecom               ||        ||
cisco Systems, Inc., 250 West Tasman Drive       ||||      ||||
San Jose, CA  95134, (408) 526-8104          ..:||||||:..:||||||:..
email: [email protected]                    c i s c o  S y s t e m s