Re: New Denial of Service Attack on Panix

  • From: Craig A. Huegen
  • Date: Mon Sep 16 23:57:28 1996

On Mon, 16 Sep 1996, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

==>Right now? If you don't have system source to your kernels I would say
==>you are hosed. I would suggest trying to work to get lots of ISPs to
==>filter outgoing packets. Its the surest defense for
==>everyone. Additionally, if you do have sources to your kernel there
==>may be fixes that can be made in advance of vendors announcing
==>patches.

As part of a task force studying this problem, I have called some of the
major hardware vendors (namely SGI, HP, and Sun).  SGI told one of the
team members "we're not allowed to really talk about this".  Sun and HP
have both said "we've formed a council that has been evaluating the
situation, and will make available anything we have done to help alleviate
or prevent the problems".

/cah