Re: SYN floods - possible solution? (fwd)

  • From: Alexis Rosen
  • Date: Fri Sep 13 04:21:59 1996

With source, and reasonable knowledge of the kernel, this would be easy
enough to do on any unix. Avi's already explained what needs to be done,
and you don't need a special box.

But to protect other machines, you'd have to put a filter machine in front
of them. This sounds like a workable solution to me, for those who can cope
with the technical or financial demands (which *might* not be so high).

There's no protocol issue to prevent this. You can tag held SYNs any way
you like; you're not limited to using parts of the packet. But even if
you did, it would still be fine.

If your attacker were on a T1, and *if* his router and your can handle the
packet-forwarding load, you could see perhaps 4000 pps theoretical max.
In real life I'd be surprised to see half that many, and that would be a
*real* flood. 30sec. timeout means 60k slots in a hash table of SYNs, each
taking up 12 bytes for the data. Your total memory used is maybe 1MB if you
figure the hash just right. You might also do better if you used a tree
keyed on the source IP. For free, you can protect any number of hosts, not
just one.

But... I still don't believe that this is a good global solution. Most ISPs
can't cope with this. The clue level I've been seeing among many of the
ISP "engineers" and "systems administrators" who have called in the last
few days to ask for help ("is your problem happening to me too???") is
astonishingly low. :-(

I also have no clue what I'd choose to implement this on. It *could* be
done in a unix kernel but that's probably a really *bad* choice. I'm sure
plenty of people out there know some good possibilities, though.

/a