Re: SYN floods - possible solution? (fwd)

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Fri Sep 13 02:35:11 1996

Now here is something that could be used by sites to protect against SYN
flood attacke assuming that they can build a special custom box with
enough RAM to buffer the sockets for 30 seconds or more. How high a rate
can SYN floods come in at? I've heard of 1,000 per sec which implies that
this box needs to hold open 30,000 to 75,000 potential sockets. Is there
any problem within IPv4 (seq #'s?) that would make this inherently
impossible?

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: [email protected]