Re: MAE-East still no generator

  • From: Dick St.Peters
  • Date: Sun Sep 08 22:49:54 1996

> I don't think so. AC is not very good for distance. When you have a AC
> sine wave you also get reverse EMF that distorts the signal. AC is like
> VHS it was at the masses first. DC like BETA works better, though if you
> use DC you would have a lot more deaths because AC is a little easier to
> take if you touch the wire at high currents.

Sometime around the beginning of the 1900s Edison and Westinghouse
were waging PR war over whether the country should adopt DC or AC.  In
an early preview of negative campaigning Edison appealed to public
fear by noting that AC was used in electric chairs.  Edison lost that
fight, of course, but got his revenge from GE winning the long-term
economic battle.

Now that I can claim title to the most irrelevant NANOG posting in
history, (intended) I return you all to the current battle ...

--
Dick St.Peters,       Gatekeeper, Pearly Gateway, Ballston Spa, NY
[email protected]     Owner, NetHeaven 518-885-1295/800-910-6671