Re: MAE-East still no generator

  • From: Avi Freedman
  • Date: Sun Sep 08 01:43:45 1996

> >   Certainly it would be reprehensible if the MAE-E core
> >   infrastructure (that which MFS owns/runs) wasn't backed up.
> >   However, I believe it is.
> >
> >   I do not believe that it is the responsibility of MFS to provide
> >   power to individual's equipment that is co-located at the site.
>
> If reliable power is not considered an essential part of facility
> infrastructure, how would you suggest that tenants get it? I think

DC power is provided at all MFS facilities I'm aware of; the rub is
that most of our gear is AC.  Does anyone know of inverters that take
MFS's -48dc (with what I'm told is 'positive-ground' power) and convert
it to 110vac?  If not, we're probably going to have to build our own
battery rack and/or stick a generator on the roof at one of our MFS
colo sites.

> that the incident at the WilTel POP in Santa Clara, CA, is sufficient
> to prove that having individual tenants each supply their own
> (typically small) UPS is a Bad Thing - the power was out long enough
> to drain them to zero, furthermore (this part I have second hand) some
> of them didn't take well to being flatlined like that. If everyone
> were left to solve that problem on their own ... well, imagine
> everyone jockeying to park their trailer-mounted portable generator
> near the door. Yow.

> Stephen

Avi