Re: MFS WorldCom/WilTel/LDDS

  • From: Hong Chen
  • Date: Thu Aug 29 13:12:50 1996

I think that metered pricing will come sometime, if not
in the near future. Some charges for time online for
dialup customers, some charges on the number of bytes
transfered, and some charges distance/time/bandwidth used
(such as Internet Fax).

There are various technologies and applications being
introduced which allow a dial up user to nail up a
port for many many hours (such as PointCast, and many
new business plans I have seen). A lot of times, the users
are misusing the dial up port as dedicated port unknowingly.

Of course, one can always configure authentication servers
to prevent some of the misuses (such as constant pinging a host).
However, with the new applications coming out everyday,
it is quite difficult to do for ISPs. Just wondering how the ISPs
can continue to offer $15 unlimited services, both financially
and technically.

I have even seen one of our partners at GRIC (An international
roaming consortium) saying that they are looking for ways to
stop people from running Internet phone app over their
expensive $1M per year T1 over the Pacific.

It seems to me that there is no need to jump ship if your
ISP changed into metered services. It at least shows
your provider knows what they are doing.
Someday everyone has to.

Hong
www.aimnet.com/www.aimsoft.com/www.gric.com
Gee, I own so many domain names ....