Re: MFS WorldCom/WilTel/LDDS

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Thu Aug 29 12:45:39 1996

On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, Paul A Vixie wrote:

> I'm not sure we're over the hump yet, economically.  Right now if all we had
> for content is the set of self supporting (profitable) sites who could afford
> to pay metered rates for the packets they emit, it would slow down the growth
> rate.

Right.
Many people don't know that the Internet is version 2 of the net.
Version 1 of the net was metered from the transport structure right out to
the content level. It flopped.

> Let's take the golden eggs as they come out rather than killing the goose.

What an apt description of version 1 of the net!

P.S. version one used X.25 instead of IP and NAPLPS instead of HTML and
was called the Videotex industry.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: [email protected]