Re: MFS WorldCom/WilTel/LDDS

  • From: Avi Freedman
  • Date: Thu Aug 29 11:12:36 1996

> If we meter things so that free content is too expensive to provide, and
> things like Alta Vista (and Gatekeeper.dec.com for that matter) disappear,
> will the net still be attractive to newbies?  Will ISP customer bases still
> grow?

No, but another 'net will be.  Maybe not "the Internet", but my bet is that
the pay-for-use-and-better-service 'net will be the subset of "the Internet",
not "the Internet" itself.

Btw, once people get connected I'm convinced you could turn off web use and
they'd still stick around for < $20/month.  But I don't think it'll come
to that.

Avi