Re: Access to the Internic Blocked

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Fri Aug 23 01:50:06 1996

On Thu, 22 Aug 1996, Vadim Antonov wrote:

> I sometimes wonder if the threat of hackers is exaggregated.
> They certainly missed a nice opportunity to crash the Internet
> with TCP resets on iBGPs.  Now nobody cares about the creative
> potential of LSRR-anonymized denial of service attacks.  They
> must be stupid or something.

No. They just can't see the forest for the trees. In other words, hackers
focus on the hosts not on the network infrastructure. And since they
depend on the network to carry their attacks to their hosts of interest
they don't have much incentive to attack the net itself.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: [email protected]