Re: ATM Wide-Area Networks (was: sell shell accounts?)

  • From: Curtis Villamizar
  • Date: Tue Jul 23 21:46:14 1996

In message <[email protected]>, Tim Salo writes:

> "Good" ATM switches are doing Early Packet Discard and Partial Packet
> Discard.  You can ask your favorite switch vendor for details, or look
> at the following for a nice summary:
>
> 	http://www.fore.com/html/atm-edu/whitep/FTBMWP.html
>
> -tjs
>
> I am not quite sure how an ATM switch becomes a "packet shredder," or
> even what a "packet shredder" is...

It becomes a packet shredder when it doesn't do EPD/PPD, dropping a
small percentage of cells on overload but a large percentage of
packets.  You have to overprovision to start with.

Also in the "dead horse dept" (I hope) unless you are dealing with
boneheaded switch vendors.  Some don't believe in EPD/PPD preferring
ABR.  Are any of them still entirely clueless in this regard and not
doing either EPD/PPD or ABR?

Curtis

ps- still kind of partial to RED myself.  :)