Re: T3 or not to T3

  • From: Karl Mueller
  • Date: Mon Jul 22 11:52:23 1996

> > On Mon, 22 Jul 1996, Avi Freedman wrote:
> >
> > Agreed. IMO, the best place for these things is one hops away from an XP,
> > either in a provider's network or behind a content provider's router that's
> > connected to the XP.
>
> Yes, 100%, I would pick MAE-East. MAE-East is the closest you are going to
> get to the world, and there is more data going over it then any other
> NAP. You may also want to look at putting a server up at a few NAPs, this
> is what we are doing now for one of our users. This will be a HUGE www
> audio provider, and they need fast access with as little delay as
> possible. We will be providing them colo at MAE-East, MAE-West, and
> Chicago NAP. The people they are accessing the site will then hit a image
> map and get served out of the closest server.

The fact that MAE-East is the busiest exchange point in the world
should push you to locate servers elsewhere, IMHO.  There are
many providers who really don't want more traffic at MAE-East.
With all the overload happening now and the lack of additional
connections to share traffic, do you really want to add significant
content to the bargain?

Karl

Karl Mueller                    [email protected]   (415) 944-8228
Sr. Network Engineer		Best Internet Communications, Inc.