Re: T3 or not to T3

  • From: Bill Manning
  • Date: Mon Jul 22 01:10:27 1996

> private interconnects with the major providers similar to what Sprint/MCI
> are doing to keep traffic off the NAP's?
>
> On the other hand, maybe you could be the customer that establishes the
> distributed web server scenario I discussed earlier. If you have read
> through http://www.ix.digital.com you will not that not only are they
> running an exchange point but they are also running a web farm of sorts at
> the same location. Chances are good that this web-farm-at-the-XP concept
> will become the rule rather than the exception. Note that in Digital's
> model it would be possible to connect to larger ISP's without requiring
> traffic to flow through the XP itself.

	The differences between digitals exchange and MAE-LA seem to be
	limited to these items:

		Digital is escorted
		MAE-LA is not (things are caged at MAELA)

		Digital has its generator installed
		MAE-LA will have its installed in Dec

		Digital has -48vdc ready
		MAE-LA has exausted its -48vdc capacity and is adding more

		Digital has its gigaswitch installed
		MAE-LA has not, since there is not yet a demand

	In other ways, they are functionally identical.

		Both have multicarrier access
		Both support public and private interconnections
		Both support commercial access
		Both havee colocation services
		Both have UPS,preaction fire, cooling, the whole environmental pkg

	Oops. forgot these:

		Digital has a large marketing budget
		MAE-LA does not

		Digital is 20-25% more expensive
		MAE-LA is  based on cost recovery

	Note that MAE-LA, like MAE-West, is not an MFS only activity.
	They have thier own rates, the other players have theirs.
	http://www.isi.edu/div7/mla

--
--bill