Re: Why aren't ISPs providing stratum 1 NTP service?

  • From: Matthew Kaufman
  • Date: Thu Jul 18 01:30:04 1996

Original message <[email protected]>
From: "Dorian R. Kim" <[email protected]>
Date: Jul 17, 22:56
Subject: Re: Why aren't ISPs providing stratum 1 NTP service?

> > >Perhaps it's because you folks aren't listed in the web-based successor
> > >to clock.txt?:
> >
> > I don't know why they aren't listed, but I'm not listed because DRA
> > doesn't provide "public" NTP service.  We provide NTP services to all
>
> This is also why we aren't on that list.
>
> -dorian
>
>-- End of excerpt from "Dorian R. Kim"

When we added ourselves to that list, we asked people who use the service
to mail us. Just under 50% of those who've mailed since we put ourselves
on the list are our customers (or customers of our customers), even though
we've made an effort to notify our customers directly. Now, that might not
be a true random sampling of the users, but it still tells something.

So the list works... if you don't want to provide "public" services, adjust
the server to allow connections only from your own IP blocks.

-matthew kaufman
 [email protected]