Re: problem at mae-west tonight?

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Mon Jul 15 14:47:48 1996

>   Robert,
>
>   It's my understanding that MAE-W is composed of two facilities,
>   one at MFS, and the second at NASA-AMES.

Actually, it's three.  There's another one at 2 North Second Street
for ConXioN.

>   It's my understanding that while a virtual medium is created, they
>   actually reside on two separate gigaswitches.  I seem to recall 1
>   or 2 OC3s connecting the two.....

Actually, it's a combination of Gigaswitches and NetEdge boxes.  There
are 2 OC3s between the GS at MFS and the GS at Ames.  There's a single T3
to North Second.  (That'll become an OC3 soon, though).

>   Given this, it is, then, possible that the route server is located
>   on segment A, while customers x,y, and z are located on segment B.

RS's are both located at Ames.  Additionally, there are multiple segments
at Ames and at MFS.

>   If you are on segment A, and try to follow the RSes advice to talk
>   to x, y, and z, you are depending on the links connecting the two
>   segments.
>
>   However, I may be incorrect.

That is correct.