Re: Ping flooding

  • From: Bradley J. Passwaters
  • Date: Fri Jul 12 00:22:09 1996

> >    3.  Better TCP windowing and better performance when all
> >        packets follow the same path.

> Not really.  TCP mostly cares about round-trip, not timing
> of forward and backward paths.

Really, consider a link where the path carrying most of the data has
a time of N and the path carrying the ack has a path 2N or N + 1/2N
You are computing an average which seems like it could be skewed based
on the path the ack takes.

Does anyone know of any papers on the effect of asymetric paths on TCP
performance? This is a subject I have been thinking about in my
free time :)

[email protected]                        |  Disclaimer:  Can you be sure I even
uunet!eng.umd.edu!istari               |  exist:  Let alone represent anyone
Brad Passwaters (Network Ronin)        |  or anything.
Here we are. Born to be kings. We're the princes of the universe.
Here we belong, fighting to survive in a war with the darkest power.
                        Network Manager's Theme Song (QUEEN)