Re: Ping flooding

  • From: Perry E. Metzger
  • Date: Wed Jul 10 09:06:31 1996

I'm sorry, but this isn't true. The fact that routers aren't optimized
for monitoring isn't an issue.

Tracking down a ping forger, if they are flooding, is pretty easy. You
just use network monitoring equipment on each leg of the network to
trace the stuff back, leg by leg. Remote monitoring equipment isn't at
every ISP on every network connection yet, but eventually will have to
be for a variety of reasons, and there is always stuff like
RMON. Currently, tracing back all 10 or 20 hops is going to be a pain
because its a manual process, but that needn't remain the case.