Re: Ping flooding (fwd)

  • From: Daniel W. McRobb
  • Date: Tue Jul 09 21:25:54 1996
  • Company: ANS
  • Location: ANS Network Services, Ann Arbor, MI
  • Position: Staff Engineer

> > 'tis also very important to know the route taken for a net when
> > analyzing the data.  Discrepancies here can be huge and completely
> > invalidate any conclusions you might make about how much traffic is
> > traversing a given path.
>
> For this we like combined interface stats; AS-based traffic matrices
> are (from our point of view) mostly useful for end-to-end measurements.

Forgot to answer this one point...

Combined interface stats aren't very useful for a scenario we commonly
entertain: what will happen if I move Big Customer A's ingress to ANSnet
from ANS border router X to ANS border router Y?  I need to know who
they're talking to in order to answer that question.  Typically large
portions of the ANS mesh will be affected, and I need to know how.

Daniel
~~~~~~