Re: Ping flooding (fwd)

  • From: Per Gregers Bilse
  • Date: Tue Jul 09 20:16:37 1996

On Jul 9, 19:15, Curtis Villamizar <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have always been under the impression that Cisco flow switching and
> high performance were mutually exclusive if there were too many active
> flows as is the case for the major US ISPs at least.

This may or may not be the case, but that wasn't the question; the
question was if information required to track bogus packets was
available.

Apart from that, flow switching should probably be seen in the
light of distributed switching, but all of this is something
sales critters are there to talk about.

> Another difference is with the flow switching, you need to catch them
> in the act.  With the sampling and collection, you can call hours
> later (days or weeks actually, years if you count going to tape) and
> still determine the candidate entry points for the traffic.  I don't
> think there is a practical way to get the same sort of historic
> archive from the flow switching stats.

As noted in other mail, it appears there is a solution to that.

--
------ ___                        --- Per G. Bilse, Mgr Network Operations Ctr
----- /     /  /   __   ___  _/_ ---- EUnet Communications Services B.V.