Re: AGIS Route Flaps Interrupting its Peering?

  • From: Brett D. Watson
  • Date: Tue Jul 09 03:13:45 1996

> On Fri, 5 Jul 1996, Mark Kent wrote:
>
> > An appropriate audience would have been the AGIS noc and the Digex
> > noc.
>
> Wrong! It's an operations issue and it SHOULD be on NANOG or a global
> outages list if such should some day exist.

  i have to agree, strongly.

> > >   Could you share your findings?  If there was a problem, I think
> > >   we'd all prefer an explanation rather than a finger shaking for
> > >   having interest.
> >
> > My key point is that nothing of interest happened.
>
> There are hundreds of providers learning how to deal with multihoming and
> peering. Anything like this is of interest because people need to know how
> to recognize and solve problems to keep the global network running.
>
> > This was a
> > non-issue until the misinformation was blasted around the Internet
> > technical universe.
>
> Yep, no doubt about it. If you create the environment for misinformation
> to spread then it WILL spread. However, you can fix this. If timely an
> accurate outage information is available from everybody then
> misinformation won't spread and where it does manage to propogate it will
> merely be static.

  this is the major problem i had with the large provider i worked
for.  the corporate motto was "if we have something broken, we don't
want *anyone* else to know about it..."  "it's none of *their*
business if we have routers melting down..."

  and my favorate response to customers asking for an "outage
notification list" was to create the list, not use it for 6 months,
and then come up with some generic statements like "we are having
technical difficulty, we;re working on it".

  complete crap in my opinion.  it did nothing but insult customers'
intelligence.  i agree with what michael is saying (i wont' be struck
by lightening will i?) 100%.  *timely* disclosure of problems like
this would avoid misinformation and bring back a small bit of the
spirit of the net that was lost some time back.... *cooperation*.

-brett