Re: Sprint's route filters and Europe

  • From: Kent W. England
  • Date: Tue Jun 18 13:52:23 1996

At 08:40 PM 6/18/96 +1000, Geoff Huston wrote:

>Of course this is not always the case, and typically a public resource
distribution
>space couples regulation with a tariff to achieve the ultimate outcome of fair
>and equitable distribution. The radio spectrum is perhaps the best covered
>territory here when looking at this space in relation to the policy debate over
>IP address management.

In this debate we have to take care when we talk about charging for
registration, whether we are intending to:

a) cover the cost of administering a resource (such as .com)
b) trying to let a market set prices
c) trying to cover the national debt (as with spectrum auctions)

Let's just be very sure that if and when fees or prices for addresses are
agreed, that someone doesn't step up and claim the right to auction
addresses to cover the US budget deficit. There might be a few people in DC
that would think to do that.

--Kent