Re: PHILOS. of NANOG

  • From: Alan Hannan
  • Date: Mon May 27 20:38:54 1996

  Tim,

  Your argument is flawed.

  You assume the flutist plays for the enjoyment of others, for the
  merit only of the flute's melody.

  It could be for other reasons, such as personal gratification.

  W/in this community, I know of two folks, who actively participate
  and operate networks for reasons not at all involved w/ their users.

  The first works because they enjoy the technology, and, kind as
  they are, could care less about their users.

  The second works for the purpose of shaping the world, given that
  the "Internet" is the evolution of communication, and could care
  less about the well being of their users, but rather how they can
  manipulate these users (and other netops) to gain power and money.

  I respect them both.

  -alan

  ps. Alan is obliged to point out that he works for the happiness of his
  users, and the happiness of himself to play w/ nifty toys.

.........  Tim Bass is rumored to have said:
]
]
]
] A little Network Operations Contemplation (NOC ;-)
]
] This thread applies directly to NANOG, but just as easily apply to
] any number of occupations or organizations associated with a service
] or occupation.   (i'll keep it kinda' short)
]
] The question is "What is the ultimate aim of NANOG"?
]
] That is *easy* some may say, just read the charter and it says to the
] effect "discuss matters related to North American Network Operations"!
] Yet to provide discourse on the aim of NANOG, it is prudent to discuss
] the aim or goal of Network Operations by asking the local next question:
]
] "What is the goal or final aim of Network Operations?"
]
] Before answering, it is simpler to ask another series of questions
] and to answer them in kind as to avoid disagreement.
]
] Q. "What is the goal or aim of a Flutist?"
]
] A. "To play the flute."
]
] Q. "And what is the goal or aim of a Good Flutist?"
]
] A. "To play the flute well."
]
] Q.
]
] But, is playing the flute an end or an intermediate action for some other
] aim or causal result?
]
] A.
]
] Yes, of course, we can all see!  Playing the flute well makes the flutist
] happy and makes the listeners whom enjoy the harmonies of the flutist
] happy.
]
] Q.  Therefore, is happiness a transitory state to another state!?
]
]
] A.
]
] No, according to all accepted philosophy, (especially Greek, BTW)
] happiness is the ultimate goal, aim, purpose of human existence.
] I hope you agree!  (Of course, there are many paths to happiness!)
]
] Conclusion....
]
] Back to NANOG..... it is rational and prudent to state that the
] ultimate goal or aim of NANOG is to provide for the happiness
] of network users and by providing good services that make the
] users happy; the network operators will be happy as well and
] will have achieved an end if the users are happy with the service.
]
] Hence, I remind NANOG that, discussing network operations *only*
] for the sake of *network operations* has little merit.  All aspects
] of network operations are, in principle, to provide for the happiness
] and satisfaction of the end user of the service.
]
] The path to providing this service is not narrowly focused, however,
] as *some* would like NANOG to think.  Nor is the focus on promoting
] the individual agenda items of NANOG causal to bringing 'bliss'
] to the end user.
]
] It may be temperate to think;
]
] "What is he/she really saying and how does that effect the ultimate goal
] of network operations, which is the happiness of the end user of these
] IP networks?"
]
] BTW, it *would* be in the best interest of all end users if all devices
] (read RA) at NAPS were multihomed with on-line backups.  If an organization
] if funding these "experiments" I suggest that they:
]
] (a) specify that the "experiments" are not to be used for operations; or
] (b) provide proper funding to establish a reliable NAP RA architecuture.
]
] Sounds reasonable, don't you think?
]
] Tim
]
] ----
]
] And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
] You shout and no one seems to hear
] And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
] I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
]
] 			-Roger Waters
]
]