Re: Worldly Thoughts - Regionalizing Peering

  • From: Dave Siegel
  • Date: Thu May 23 23:11:28 1996

> >Since these are designed to be regional exchanges, one would presume that
> >transit is still available elsewhere.
> >
> >Even at the large carrier level, I should think that the priority NAPs,
> >as well as the private interconnects, would contain complete information
> >on the other networks to back up any failure to route at a regional exchange.
>
> Er, um, well yes, but ideally if you get peering from all the big
> boys, you wouldn't need to purchase transit from someone.

Did I mention purchase anywhere?  I don't think I did.  It's not what I'm
talking about.  What I'm talking about is a set of places in the country
where you have access to everything in your peers peoples network.

> I think the idea of only exchanging local routes at any given regional
> exchange is not a bad idea, but I don't see how it would really end up
> working properly in a fluctuating environment.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it as long as normal engineering
considerations are taken into account.

These would include redundancy/fallover, among many other things.

Dave

--
Dave Siegel		     Sr. Network Engineer, RTD Systems & Networking
(520)623-9663 x130	     Network Consultant -- Regional/National NSPs