PPP over SONET

  • From: Camil Samaha/TEIR/Thomson
  • Date: Mon May 20 11:41:23 1996

I've been doing a lot reading the last few days on the advantages of "PPP over
SONET/SDH" vs "IP over ATM AAL5".  The available information bandwidth of
roughly 150 Mbps out of 155.5 Mbps with STS-3c/STM-1 makes the PPP over SONET
solution very attractive.  I understand that SONET facilities are widely
deployed throughout the carriers' broadband infrastructures but when will it
become practical to run packet data over these facilities?  I am aware that
Cisco is planning to provide an OC-3/STM-1 interface in the 3d quarter but what
about other hardware vendors?  When will carriers be ready to support this
service?  Are multiplexers available or planned for the near future?  Are there
carrier-to-carrier issues that need to be worked out?  Any information on this
subject is very much appreciated.
Thank you.

-Camil

Camil Samaha
Senior Network Engineer
Thomson Electronic Information Resources
[email protected]