Re: topological closeness....

  • From: Alan Hannan
  • Date: Thu May 16 11:55:40 1996

  Hola,

] > 	IMHO, in the context of the AP region, I guess we are overlooking the
] > 	user perspective - locally available "Internet" content. Barring
] > 	.au, .sg, .kr, .hk (?), .jp and .tw, I do not see any major effort
] > 	around to provide locally, content that is available in the US
] > 	be it the GNU archive, the WU archive or one-of-those Beatles
] > 	song and lyrics archive - result - good amount of traffic to the
] > 	US.
]
] With limited bandwidth, updating these archives would be slow,
] and, you wouldn't know yet if there are enough people accessing
] these to justify getting a mirror.

  Bah.  Transferring it once off-shore is a no-brainer.  Of _course_
  there will be enough traffic to justify the mirror.

] Caching should help getting commonly requested information faster.

  Agreed, hence the policies of Israel and [is it...] New Guinea.
  Don't allow traffic over port 80 or 20/21.   Make the people use
  the cache server.

] >       When one sees such traffic trends, why would an ISP even think in
] >       terms of investing in a link to a place other than the US - the cost
] > 	permitting ?
]
] In the long term, as the Internet becomes more common, regional content
] will become more important, IMHO.  So develop the local content -
] and the local infrastructure - and regional intranets, and virtual
] private networks - will come in.

  Sure, it will become _relatively_ more important than it is now,
  but the "Internet" will make geographic location less and less
  relevant, and as you allude to, when the bandwidth levels are
  increased, the issue of obtaining it locally or from the states,
  or from the Moon, shouldn't matter too much.

  Yes, I do believe the bw will increase, I don't believe the next
  resource (after IP space and IP routes) for us to run out of is
  bandwidth.  Sure, there's a crunch now, but we'll all just raise
  our rates and buy bigger pipes.

  Or something.

  -alan