Re: topological closeness....

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Mon May 13 21:51:19 1996

On Tue, 14 May 1996, Geoff Huston wrote:

> But relying on users to configure their end systems with the
> identity of the closest cache server using some ill defined
> "network metric" is always going to be an erratic affair at best.

I was wondering if someone had gotten around to intercepting the port 80
traffic and redirecting it to a local caching proxy. Doesn't seem much
more difficult to do than NAT stuff and there are enough providers running
FreeBSD boxes and the like as gateway routers that it may be worth trying
as an experiment.

Now that Cisco is adding NAT capabilities to the standard IOS it appears
that these "non-routing" functions may not be too hard to get standardised
across a large part of the net.

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: [email protected]